Where are the syncronization logs?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

clovekamp

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:15 pm

We are trying to determine what size to make our LUNS to keep from being down for days at a time during a syncronization. I have inherited this entire system/setup and am unable to find anything that will tell me how long it has taken to syncronize in the past. Could someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction or give me an idea of how many GB's per hour, etc. we could use as a rough guideline.

Thank you
@ziz (staff)

Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:11 am

clovekamp wrote:We are trying to determine what size to make our LUNS to keep from being down for days at a time during a syncronization. I have inherited this entire system/setup and am unable to find anything that will tell me how long it has taken to syncronize in the past. Could someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction or give me an idea of how many GB's per hour, etc. we could use as a rough guideline.

Thank you
StarWind hasn't dedicated logs for synchronization process, there are general logs in which you can see all the information about what is happening in our system and when did a synchronization started. It is located in %:\Program Files%\StarWind Software\StarWind\logs

The time that can take synchronization depends directly on the following factors:
-The type of the sync (fast or full).
-The size of the Target being synchronized.
-The performance of your sync channel.
Aziz Keissi
Technical Engineer
StarWind Software
clovekamp

Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:36 pm

Thank you for your reply. I've looked in the location you mentioned and it doesn't have anything useful. By looking at the ARECA Raid Controller logs I can tell exactly how long it takes to rebuild a Raid or Volume. Do you think this is something you could add to some future version?

Also, I realize there are a lot of variables that go into figuring out the sync time. I just thought there might be a general guideline I could use to provide upper administration a "temporary" figure until such time as I have to do some syncronizing again and can collect that information myself. That's OK if you don't have any.

Thank you
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:23 am

We'll represent dedicated Performance Monitor component with V5.7 and extended logging with sophisticated alerts is with us from V5.6 I rebuild progress indication is with us for years. So you need something written to logs b/c you want to have some integration with anything? How do you see it done? Scripts? WMI?
clovekamp wrote:Thank you for your reply. I've looked in the location you mentioned and it doesn't have anything useful. By looking at the ARECA Raid Controller logs I can tell exactly how long it takes to rebuild a Raid or Volume. Do you think this is something you could add to some future version?

Also, I realize there are a lot of variables that go into figuring out the sync time. I just thought there might be a general guideline I could use to provide upper administration a "temporary" figure until such time as I have to do some syncronizing again and can collect that information myself. That's OK if you don't have any.

Thank you
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

@ziz (staff)

Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:28 am

clovekamp wrote:Thank you for your reply. I've looked in the location you mentioned and it doesn't have anything useful. By looking at the ARECA Raid Controller logs I can tell exactly how long it takes to rebuild a Raid or Volume. Do you think this is something you could add to some future version?

Thank you
All needed inputs about synchronization are available in logs but it is just bit difficult to find it. More simple way is available in v5.6, we added server events in console, this allows you to see when synchronization started and when finished in addition to other important events.
General guideline for synchronization in not available, sync time will depend on the above mentioned factors and even on the processors load and client's use of the SAN while sync is performed.
Aziz Keissi
Technical Engineer
StarWind Software