HA Server dirty shutdown with Write-Back Cache?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

camealy

Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:08 am

I installed and don't see anything new related to synchronization throttling.

What I thought was on the roadmap, was something that would allow you to turn down the synchronization traffic priority and usage so your primary target was usable during a full sync. Right now yes, you can talk to the source during an event that requires a full sync, but it is in reality unusable for anything taxing based on the sync traffic soaking the connection.
@ziz (staff)

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:43 am

camealy wrote:I installed and don't see anything new related to synchronization throttling.

What I thought was on the roadmap, was something that would allow you to turn down the synchronization traffic priority and usage so your primary target was usable during a full sync. Right now yes, you can talk to the source during an event that requires a full sync, but it is in reality unusable for anything taxing based on the sync traffic soaking the connection.
Sorry, it was a little misunderstood, in V5.6 we have set a priority between different HA targets sync, so they sync one by one, this allows to decrease the overload on the network and disks.
In future versions the feature allowing sync traffic management will be realized.
Aziz Keissi
Technical Engineer
StarWind Software
jeffhamm

Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:23 pm

I am also very interested in throttling back the sync so that my virtual machines can still run during the re-sync process when a StarWind Node goes down hard. Would the following accomplish the goal until the sync throttling feature becomes available?

Set the network interface cards for the sync channel on both nodes to 10Mbps / half duplex.

Wouldn't this limit the the total amount of bandwidth available for the re-sync? I think you can also control this through the NIC driver vendor's configuration utility or even the registry.

Could this work?

Thanks,
Jeff
Oleg (staff)

Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:36 am

Yes it will work but don't forget turn on full-duplex instead of half-duplex.

B.R.,
Oleg Netsevych
Head of Technical Support Team
StarWind Software Inc.