iscsi initiator cannot connect to 1 virtual disk

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

jfauden

Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:20 pm

Hi,

I have a three node cluster, domain controller and two nodes. I set up 4 virtual disks on the domain controller. I used iscsi initiator on node1 to connect, initialize and format the disks. All went fine.

I then went to node2 to bring them online. The first 3 came online fine. My server froze making the 4th connection and I had to reboot. Now no matter what I do, or in what order I create the virtual disks, the first 3 come online fine with correct volume and drive information. The 4th connection comes online but the volume and drive name are missing and can't be assigned.

Any idesa how I can correct this problem?

Thanks,

Jimmy Auden
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:45 pm

Anything special in StarWind log and / or in failing node System Event Log?
jfauden wrote:Hi,

I have a three node cluster, domain controller and two nodes. I set up 4 virtual disks on the domain controller. I used iscsi initiator on node1 to connect, initialize and format the disks. All went fine.

I then went to node2 to bring them online. The first 3 came online fine. My server froze making the 4th connection and I had to reboot. Now no matter what I do, or in what order I create the virtual disks, the first 3 come online fine with correct volume and drive information. The 4th connection comes online but the volume and drive name are missing and can't be assigned.

Any idesa how I can correct this problem?

Thanks,

Jimmy Auden
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

jfauden

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:34 pm

Let me check it out when I get home....
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:50 pm

Grab the stuff, zip it and send to support@starwindsoftware.com with your comments and link to this post. Thanks!
jfauden wrote:Let me check it out when I get home....
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

jfauden

Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:21 am

I found a workaround. I just created a 'dummy' virtual disk in the fourth position. Node1 recognizes it fine, but node2 still doesn't. I have attached the logs from node2.
Attachments
StarWind.rar
(18.17 KiB) Downloaded 519 times
@ziz (staff)

Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:02 pm

jfauden wrote:I found a workaround. I just created a 'dummy' virtual disk in the fourth position. Node1 recognizes it fine, but node2 still doesn't. I have attached the logs from node2.
Are you using StarPort as initiator on all of your nodes?
What are you using to create your virtual disks, StarWind iSCSI SAN or other software?
Aziz Keissi
Technical Engineer
StarWind Software